By: Kina Khatri MD, IFMCP
Ozone therapy is a safe and effective way to detoxify and heal the body. Ozone has been used as a form of healing therapy since the early 1900’s. It has been used extensively in Europe for decades and is starting to catch on in the US. It can be used synergistically with a well rounded functional medicine approach to address autoimmune disease, biotoxin/mycotoxin illness, chronic viral reactivations and as a form of anti-aging strategy.
What is Ozone Therapy?
Ozone is a gas with a molecular structure of O3. It is highly reactive and is constantly breaking apart back to O2 + O and reforming again to O3. We can use this reactivity of ozone to our benefit by infusing ozone through the blood. The ozone gas will immediately react with the lipids (fats) in our blood and form ozonides + oxygen. The ozonides will then turn on our own body’s anti-oxidative enzymes to help clear up the free radicals that have formed in our bodies. The oxygen formed will help to further oxygenate our blood. Ozone is also anti-microbial and works to target viruses, bacteria, parasites and mold.
Benefits of Ozone
- Increases blood oxygenation, allowing the oxygen to be more readily available to the tissue and cells.
- Improves blood circulation that has been impaired by chronic inflammatory conditions.
- Is a potent anti-oxidant through its ability to turn on our bodies anti-oxidant enzymes.
- It stimulates our mitochondria to produced more energy.
- Helps regulate our immune system, helping to correct imbalances.
Methods of Ozone Therapy
- Major autohemotherapy (MAH) or IV ozone – administered by a full trained professional. This procedure involves pulling out about 100ml of your blood in a closed circuit sterile IV bag and injecting it with ozone. The ozonated blood is then infused back into your body. The entire process takes about 30-60 minutes.
- Rectal ozone – good for colon, liver and prostate health
- Ear insufflation – good for ear and sinus infections
- Nasal ozone – good for sinus infections
- Ozonated olive oil – good for most skin conditions such as eczema
- Prolozone – injection of ozone + local anesthetic into joint spaces and scars
Is Ozone Therapy right for me?
You will need to be evaluated by one of our trained practitioners of ozone therapy. Ozone therapy works best when combined with a individualized treatment plan. It is not should not be utilized as stand along therapy. It can be effective in almost all disease processes.